Tuesday, June 10, 2008

War Wounds!!

This weekend I worked for the second time at my new camp job. I really don't remember what I've told you all about the camp. It is set up to run 1 weekend a month (or so) as a getaway for kids who are just having a tough life. I don't know if it is more to give the parents a break or to give the kids a good time once in a while. Either way, there's a big variety of the type of kids there. Some of them have behavioural problems, some are quite mentally handicapped and others are just kids who've had a tough life. This past weekend I worked both a Sat. and a Sun 8-4 shift. What a weekend to go to camp. It was soooo stinkin hot! I couldn't believe how hot it was. Even the shade was unbearable. But nooooo... the activities planners decided it was still nice enough weather to go rock climbing and hiking and play capture the flag. YUCK! Sat. actually was a pretty good day. We had a 3 hour water fight and everyone got completely drenched. Sun. was a different story. By this time everyone is so hot and tired that tempers flare up. Mean kids got meaner and snobby kids got snobbier. The laid back kids got more laid back though. Either way, I had a bit of an incident. They all swear that "this never happens" but still, i think I need some training. Even though I've been hired I'm not signed up for the company training, including PMAB (Prevention and Managemenet of Aggresive Behaviour), until September. One of the much more handicapped kids flipped out. We were walking to another building that was just a bit too far for him and he just got angry. I was with another support worker so I wasn't alone. He started screaming and turned on me. He grabbed the first limb he could reach, my arm, and just dug in his fingers as hard as he could. I had NO idea what to do. I'm a big wimp and it hurt like heck (I was sunburned, of course) but I was afraid to hurt him. He was also reaching in with his head to bite me, which scared the heck out of me. We ended up tackling him to the ground and sitting on him till he calmed down but he flared up a few more times and got my arm and my leg, again. Really, the war wounds aren't that spectacular, but if you ask Dan he'll tell you how much I like to show off my scrapes and bruises. So.... here they are:

Just passed my wrist there's a pretty good bruise but closer to the elbow is where he took some good chunks of skin out. Behind my knee there are some bruises and a few scratches too. I know it doesn't look like much but I'll blame that on the "bad lighting". :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Larissa said...

I would have slapped that kid upside the head so quickly!

10:26 a.m.  
Blogger Larissa said...

"I'm going to have to choke him out! There's nothing else I can do, I gotta choke him out!!!!!" lol

10:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes, that's brutal! What did Dan say to do? What did the supervisors say? Do you get any compensation for this? I'm sure glad you had someone with you. I hope someone knows how to handle this kid.
Anyway, good pics.
Love you lots

4:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, my goodness nicole!! I was laughing sorry! It was more of that is soo unbelivealbe horible that it was funny. Anyways i hope you get some training on how to handle it soon but i am with larissa, i probally would have slapped the kid upside the head!! Ekkk

4:41 p.m.  
Blogger Bert said...

I know that some kids have had a rough life, but man, if I would have been there, I would have decked the little SOB.

8:44 a.m.  
Blogger Nicole said...

Awwww... thanks guys, for padding my warrior ego!!
that second comment of larissa's was a direct quote from a very similar incident that happened to a friend of ours. That's how he dealt with the situation.
Oddly, I haven't even talked with my supervisor about it. We wrote up an incident report and that's it. nothing. wierd, eh? I wonder what Amy would think of that.
btw, you should see the bruises now! They're getting all yellow and even more dramatic!

9:20 a.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

"The war wounds may not be that spectacular" but I think they are. He must have done some pretty heavy duty scratching and hitting. Take care of yourself!

1:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home