Monday, June 11, 2007

Ducklings!!! (plus the picture now)

At least 4 of my ducklings have hatched. Yesterday Dan, Sarah, and I got home from Cass's place and I went up to have a look at my girls. Sure enough, the mama on the smaller nest, Meggy (I think), was crouch on it instead of sitting on it and I could just barely make out a tiny little head under her. Over the next couple of hours a few more appeared. Around 7:00 I noticed that she was outside wandering around having her evening walk so I quickly snuck up there to have a look. There were 3 sitting in her nest and a forth one that was standing beside the other mama's nest. As soon as we approached it got really scared and did an actual dive under mama#2. I've got a great picture of its little but sticking out of the side of the nest. I was so excited to see that they finally started hatching. I called both mine and Dan's parents and even called some friends of ours. I'm such a geek about this but I guess it is just important to me. I took the cord and camera with me to show you all the pics but, alas, it's not working for me. Redeemer is shut down, I went to Hannelle's and here at the public library it isn't working. It's too bad because I've got some great pictures from Rich and Alicia's wedding that Dan and I went to on Friday. I hadn't walked around our property from Thursday evening till last night so it was a nice treat to see how much had grown and changed. I was really impressed. I'm even seeing some of the zinnia seeds popping up. A tree fell down again but it's at the back of the property and not nearly as big as the one that fell down this winter. Unfortunately it fell into the pond. It'll be fun figuring out how to get that out!
I can't wait to get home to see if the other nest has hatched. This morning when I checked on them the two mamas were sitting beside eachother and the ducklings were hiding underneath. There were a few eggs left in her nest but I'm sure they won't hatch anymore. One was even darker. Oh, I can't wait to see them outside. I think we might need to tie up Chloe to keep her away from them. A new thing to learn about, I guess.

5 Comments:

Blogger Larissa said...

That is SOOOO exciting! Can't wait to see them tomorrow before/after dinner :)

5:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
Don't forget to cushion where they'll fall from the hay mow.
Mom W.

11:21 p.m.  
Blogger mmichele said...

CONGRATULATIONS, MOM!!! (Or Grandmom?) We get very excited at the birth of baby lizards... hatching out anything is miraculous and babies are always cute.

11:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!! It's like your a mom (without the 9 months of aches and most of the responsiblity!!)

Ange and I leave tonight but I wanted to give you our Blog address so you can check in. It's
http://stickmanandange.blogspot.com

O-|-<

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Congratulations to you, the lucky parents!

9:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home