Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I was dumb enough to let one of my layers bite the dust. I locked all the chickens but one in thinking that it would be okay. It's the girl that doesn't really follow the other ones and is a bit of a loner. She didn't see the rest running in and ended up staying outside for the night. Unfortunately there must have been a coon or something because the next morning, when Caleb was mowing our lawn (THANKS!) we found a whole lot of feathers. It looks like she put up a good fight. I got Cass's birds to her so that means that I now only have 2 hens and 1 rooster. It feels empty to me. I'm going to have to go home to get mom and dad's chicks that they have been raising for me. That should be fun.
Meggy is still sitting on her nest. I have no idea whats going on with that one but I'll just let nature do what nature does.
You'ld think that now that it's summer I wouldn't want to bake at all but I have the urge to make some breads again. I bought some rye flour since I've started to really like that bread. I wonder if you can make bread in a BBQ. It would probably take up too much fuel, no? Maybe a flat bread or something on my pizza stone? Tell me what you think. I also could use some advice on harvesting and saving seeds. When and how do I get them? My cilantro is flowering, so is the spinach and I was thinking of collecting lots of zinnia seeds for next year. Can I get them from just any plant? I'll be saving the seeds from my heritage tomatoes, especially if I like them. What about your peppers, mom? Anything else that I should look for?
I've been thinking about being an aunt lately. If you all don't know already, Dan's sister, Alisha, is pregnant. She's due the first of next year. I honestly haven't really thought about being an aunt before. I remember when Hannelle's sister got pregnant for the first time. It was like Hannelle was having a baby. It was even exciting for me. And she is such a good aunt now. Since none of my sisters have been married until a year ago and Alisha just got married the thoughts haven't really gone through my mind. I'm looking forward to it though. Most of the babies that I know don't know me. I don't feel comfortable at all with babies but if it's my sisters kid, well, heck, bring it on. So, Alisha, I'm really happy for you and Frank. I can't wait to meet this new neice or nephew of mine but you guys are going to have to train me in all things baby because I'm super clueless. I don't even know how to do the baby talk. It makes me feel like a fool.
That's it for todays post.
Enjoy the summer!!

17 Comments:

Blogger Alisha said...

Don't worry about it...when we visit we'll drop the baby off at your place and take off shopping or something, that way you'll learn really quick how to take care of babies :)

11:08 a.m.  
Blogger I'm back...... said...

Hey Nicole. I agree with you. I am SO SO SO excited however totally clueless (and scared) about holding babies. Maybe we can have a crash course on babies before the neice/nephew is born

11:33 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole, guess what, you don't need to learn how to baby talk. Kids learn much better when you talk to them normally and you won't sound silly then.
Mom W.

12:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time parents (and grandparents)
-sterilize everything in sight
-keep their kids away from TV, rock music, dogs, processed food, synthetic fibers, crazy people etc.
So chances are you won't get near the kid. But you'll get lots of pictures. Wait for baby #2, #3, or #4. Then you can have fun and no one will notice that you put the diaper on backwards.
Mom Z.

5:41 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Mom Z's got it right.

As for baking bread, I do flat bread on the barbeque. It's delicious!

7:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it makes you feel better about not knowing baby talk, jon talks normal to nadine and she's crazy about him! i guess since he treats her like a little girl instead of a baby, like me :) and... i think you'll be a *wonderful* aunt!

7:39 p.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

I agree with Mom Z but I don't think I'll be like that, I know most first time moms are that way but it bugs me when people are uptight like that so I'll try really hard not to be.

12:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom Z said something like keeping baby # 1 away from crazy people. That would eliminate more than 1/2 the people I know!

4:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Hey, Opa commented. Way to go.
I'm wondering which half I am?
Mom/Tena

4:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tena, your on top of the not crazy side.

John

4:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dad/Opa Wikk and Mom/Tena,
Congratulations with your new grandchild. Even though he/she is about the size of a lima bean I know you pray daily for this new life and the family it blesses. Isn't God awesome!
Mom Z
PS You'll never get the diaper on backwards! You're a pro!!!

8:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok most of you are wierd and crazy! Since the bady is half wikk. the only hope to keep it away from crazy people is to lock it in a closet, but hey why would you want to hang out subject little "lima bean" to normal people you/it would go crazy from boredom!!

9:23 a.m.  
Blogger Larissa said...

Actually MomZ, Alisha's baby is now the size of a normal sized peach! (3 inches) Pretty crazy!! It's getting really big :)

4:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larissa- Then not only is he/she the size of a peach, its got a heart beat, a brain a quarter+- of it's size, is sucking her thumb, and probably has a name. And grandparents eager to see him/her, from the sound of it.

5:37 p.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

This blog is going to break a record for the most comments on one post I think...

9:22 p.m.  
Blogger Nicole said...

Since I've already got this many comments I'm just going to keep them rolling... see how many I get. I'll write a post about this too but since these comments are all about being an aunt and babies..... my sister is pregnant!!! Amy is having a baby on Jan. 29!!! I'll have another kid to practice my baby talk with. For some reason I think that I'll feel more comfortable practicing holding this kid and maybe won't be so scared of them after.

9:03 a.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Next to being a parent, being an aunt is the best thing. You will be amazed at the love you feel for these babies, Nicole.

10:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home