Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What a weekend!

Dan and I went to my parents place for the weekend. I asked off Friday so I could go down on Thursday night and then Dan came after work on Friday. So much fun! I can still feel it though. See, instead of hanging around, eating, drinking, playing pool, sitting in the hot tub and just plain old hanging out together, we did all of that plus worked on Amy and Joel's new home. They are probably moving in at the end of Nov. but until then there is A LOT of work to be done. The house is an old farm house that could be pretty good except that the owners have a huge problem throwing anything out - including too many cats. Mom W. would have been completely disgusted. They keep everything, including junk, and don't clean up. So Thurs. night I went with Amy to the house and cleaned the upstairs with her in-laws (a long sore night). Friday, Cass and I started a job that didn't end till the end of our work day on Saturday. We painted cupboards. You know those old house cupboards that line every wall of the kitchen and have so many hooks and compartments and crannies everywhere? Fun to stock but a PAIN to paint. Especially with oil based paints. What a job. We came away with lots of paint on our arms, faces and hair (it's actually still there) but a good looking kitchen. It was a good time though. It was fun to help them change the house into their new home. Like I said, they probably have a lot of work to do yet but I'm excited to come over and visit when it is done and moved in. I can't wait to walk into the kitchen that will be clean and stocked. I'm sure there will always be lots of candy and garlic in that kitchen. And beside that room, I bet the quilting room is going to be a favorite well-used room too. Amy is always working on lots of absolutely gorgeous quilts- gigantic, beautiful projects. I can't wait to walk into a room that will probably look like a quilt itself with all the fabric and sewing stuff everywhere. And then, going upstairs, I can't wait to walk into an inhabited baby room! My sister is pregnant!! I still can't believe it. It kicked me this weekend!
And at the end of the great weekend, Dan and I came home with another pet. Yup, we took one of those wretched cats home. She's just a tiny kitten still and seemed healthy, clean, and nice. We figured we could use a mouser for in the barn and we are saving it from a sure death so, hey, why not. Now I just have to make sure Dan doesn't talk me into letting it come into the house. What a sucker.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree, agree and agree somemore! thanks for the pictures!!

5:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was this house empty and someone left all these cats there? I don't think I could move in.
It's good to work together and see a quick improvement.

5:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup Mom w. they had moved and left the cats behind. we still have to find a way to get rid of them!!
Nicole, nice pics. and a good blog!!
Thanx

9:36 a.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

oh my goodness... didn't that house stink???

10:33 a.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Amy and Joel are lucky to have you as a friend. As for the cats...YUCK!

Although your little kitty looks pretty cute-for a cat!

8:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A terrific Blog Nicole! You guys sure did make difference on that house! I like the way you envision them living there later this winter. I agree, it will be a cosy home. I think you should let the little cat in the house though. It would make such a good companion. What's it's name?

11:23 a.m.  
Blogger Bert said...

It's easy to get rid of the cats. First, make sure everyone is out of the house, except the cats. Seal all the windows. Take a long tube from the exhaust pipe of your car and stick it in the house somewhere. Start the car, then leave for a few hours. Come back, shut off the car, open the doors, and voila !! Problem solved.

2:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally rather shoot them. It's kind of that instant gratification kind of thing. Although I hear Joel has a handle of sorts on the situation.

3:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk tsk guys you shouldn't be talking like that!!! (espically on line) everywhere else well that up to you guys!!

9:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home