Monday, September 24, 2007

A weekend off!

After having a really slow work week last week, I got to look forward having an un-planned weekend off. I've had plenty of them off this summer but I had to ask for them all off for whatever it was that was in the schedule: camping, wedding, wedding, wedding. Well this past Sat. I wasn't given a shift! Wonderful. How exciting. Instead of spending the weekend with both of us relaxing at home and doing some fall clean-up stuff we decided to go to St. Jacob's farmer's market. I knew Dan wouldn't want to get up too early so I let him sleep in a bit while I went to our local farmers market to get the weeks fresh groceries (I bought lamb!! What do you do with lamb?!) and then picked up a coffee for Dan. He was already up and getting ready, a treat! While I was getting ready we talked with some of our cop friends who were getting ready to go out for breaky so we joined them before our long road trip. I love going out for breakfast and am always looking out for that ideal breakfast spot. Well, I think i found it. I've been to plenty of breakfast places that are good and okay and terrible but this one was the best! Beautiful location, excellent food, cheap, smallish!! It was sooo good. I hear they have good celery bread too so I have to go back soon. If any of you want to have a breakfast date in my area any time soon, call me up. I know a great place! Up in St. Jacobs it was packed!! Oh my goodness I forgot about how busy it gets there. Wow!! it was so full. You can only imagine Dan. He did say that the market was his favorite part of the day (I asked Sarah's favorite question) so he must forget most of the busyness but at the time I was ready to pack it in and leave. I remember Christmas shopping all of a sudden. I loved it though. I wanted to buy bushels of everything. Especially the red peppers. (Oh, Alisha, the soup isn't that hot at all, I don't put the hot sauce in though. Only the paprika.... that's perfect spicy for me). We didn't buy any though. I did get the yummiest baba ganoush that I've ever had and some home made pita crisps for dipping them. I also bought a samosa to try out before I try making them myself (Sarah gave me a recipe that I'm going to try out tomorrow). It was yummy. For lunch, we had the best perogies I've ever eaten. I should try making those by hand too. They can't be that hard, can they? And I've heard so much about the cottage cheese perogies but I can't find them anywhere. I think it was the onions and bacon that did it for me. wow. I'll never eat them without again. At the end of that long day we met friends for dinner which was fun too... lots of all-you-can-eat chinese food. mmmm. Wow, so much food in one day, eh? I didn't eat it all in that day though. I had the samosa and baba ganoush today. The samosa was awesome. I hope I can do it right. I know it'll take practice but wouldn't that be a good thing to store up in your freezer for easy meals? kinda like perogies.
Sunday we went to church with the Wikks. It's been a while since we went there or even seen them (at least since July!) so that was long past due, too. It was a good relaxing afternoon. We met up with our group of (now finally all married) friends for the afternoon and dinner. That was good too since I haven't seen some of them since I got back from Nova Scotia.
In all, it was a good weekend of lots of food and friends and visiting. I think the sun was good for me. It was sunny and hot and now I'm optimistic about this week being a good week too. I hear it's going to rain tomorrow so maybe I'll finally get the house vacuumed. yah right. See you all... recipes and ideas are always welcome!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend. Nothing like eating out, breakfast, lunch and supper. Wow!
Did you have the day off today? or are you going in later.

5:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole it sounds like you had a awesome week-end!! I would love to go to St. Jacobs or kitchener stock yards with you some time!!! Anyway hope you have a great day!!

8:29 a.m.  
Blogger Bert said...

"St. Jacobs Farmers Market" ??

I suppose you don't know that Elmira is just about 10 minutes away ?. You didn't have time to visit Dan's Uncle & Aunt ?. ;-)

4:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a super blog!!!
Sooooo glad you could have had a day honeymooning together.
AND today you had off too. It was such a Carribean day. Hot humid breezes blowing off of the ???
S.Ontario must have a bit of weather from every part of the world- sooner or later.
Enjoy!

9:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea.... Saturday was a really cool day! Glad you had a good romantic time of it. We all need a little honeymooning on a regular basis.

and PS: Uncle Bert ... if I was lucky enough to get a chance like that .... I sure wouldn't be spending it with no family! :)

3:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yah, it was a good weekend.
U. Bert... sometime we do have to come out and see you guys there again. We haven't been to your house since Christmas was there years ago!

3:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you, cindy here.

So... the best pergogies i ever ate were my aunt shirley's, and she made them with potatoe water. I have the recipe but they just never turn out as good as hers were. haha

3:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home