Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It's snowing!!

I knew it would happen. The first few flakes looked like it might just be a fluke but, nope, we have a full blown snow fall. It's actually collecting on the ground. I knew this was all too good to be true but I'm sure it will melt soon. I'm not to be put off. I'm in full production mode.
SO.... my garden. I can do this right? I mean, I had one last year (a very sad attempt but did yeild good veggies). Chickens will be fun and I do remember having them as a kid. I've since gone to the new house and ... guess what?! There are two perfect places for the chickens. There is a big lean-to off the side of the barn that could easily be fenced in and even has a door to go into the barn from there. There is also a small little shed in the yard that looks like it could house over 10 chickens. There's a door going into it but I could make some sort of ramp for them to go in and out of and then just shut the door at night. So, what about GOATS?!!! At first consideration I said no because the point of all this is to get production. What good are goats when you've got a great lawn mower and a husband who has been itching to mow the lawn for the last 3-4 years? But then, they could be fun. I hear they can get quite the personality. And we could breed our and sell them at the market. I doubt you would break even but it wouldn't all be costs. And then I thought... hmm... goats... that reminds me of that great goat cheese recipe that mom and dad make. yum. how do you make goat cheese? Well, here it is. I've actually been to this website once when I was trying to figure out what this buttermilk was that a recipe called for. Even if we don't get a goat and I don't learn how to milk it, then pasturize the milk and all that stuff, maybe making some yogurt from store milk would be fun. My mom did that for a while when we were growing up too. All I remember was the strict warnings not to touch it or let it move AT ALL. Dan loves his plain yogurt and its good for you right? Am I going crazy or what? What's with this farming urge?

9 Comments:

Blogger CeCe said...

We thought about getting a goat and decided against it. I don't want to be a bummer, so I won't tell you our reasons why, unless you ask me!

10:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a hippo.

11:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should have a baaabbbbyyyy! that might take care of the animal urges :) -- hey sarah? a real hippo or that tinier-than-life one from that insurance commercial? (i'm still looking for one)

6:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmmm is jungian a word???

4:47 p.m.  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks Coryn. I love that explanation. I've actually been telling people that's what it is now!! And nice comment about the word!!
Cece, I've totally been meaning to ask you why. I'm very curious now. I've even had readers ask me to ask you so we can all figure out.... what is it about goats? Is it cuz they stink? Cuz those are the males. I don't want a stinky boy goat unless he's neutered.
Oh Sarah! If you come over... I'll get you a hippo
Hannelle, Even if you come over, I won't get you a baby. Sorry dear... :)I can sell and butcher the animals that I can't take care of. There's no bringing back a babe
Sarah, I'm so embarrassed. Maybe i haven't read my own blog lately... what grammar mistakes. :) Oh, and my garden was a success in that I did get lots of cukes, tomatoes and squash... but also LOTS of weeds that didn't get pulled. oops

7:19 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ha! Forget about grammar mistakes... this isn't an offical publication.

Where's my hippo? I don't care what kind as long as it's a baby. I want one I can train properly.

5:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you got a goat or a hippo, you could let them loose in the garden in late summer or early fall and they could clean up the weeds and left over veggies.

10:23 p.m.  
Blogger sarahNrutherford said...

My blog is for you! (because I had no where else to write this)

12:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hick... :)


bonnie

9:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home