Thursday, September 28, 2006

psychology and spirituality

One of the core concepts and goals for this course that I'm taking is to grapple with the problem of integrating psychology and religion. Can it be integrated? Should it be integrated? I find these questions relevent and almost a relief. Doing a degree in Religions and another one in Psychology (it wasn't a combined degree) naturally made me ask these questions. I wanted to do a thesis on something within this issue. What's the history? Why is there a separation? What's happening now between the fields? I could even see the practicallity of the issue. There were classes that I found exciting because of the prof's seeming personal integration. Some prof's in Religions would totally discount Psychology and others had such a personal demeaner that you felt, even in their teaching style, an integration. (If this all sounds confusing it's because in my head it is confusing too. I can't get it out right) So you can imagine what I feel like coming to a class that focuses on these questions. Unfortunately, instead of answering them, we are just provided with multiple answers and are told to explore and grapple... great. I don't have any answers of my own yet since I'm already behind but I have been reading a bit and already find it really intriguing.
The book I'm reading is called Psychology, Theology, and Sprituality by Mark R. McMinn. As the book title shows, his idea is that integration in counselling comes when you have an understanding of not only psychology and theology but also of spiritualy. He says that spirituality is the 3rd leg of the tripod that counselling stands on. I totally get that. Well, not really but it does make sense to me. The profs that seemed to integrate were the ones who had a great understanding of spirituality. This scares me though. How is my spirituality? I find spirituality interesting and I would love to grow in spiritual formation. And these quotes scare me even more:
"Thus, the Christian counselors best prepared to help people are those who are not only highly trained in counseling theory and techniques and in theology but also personally trained to reflect christian character inside and outside of the counseling office. This character cannot be credentialed with graduate degrees or learned in the classroom; it comes from years of faithful training in the spiritual disciplines..."
Yikes, get me out of here. I am NOT qualified!
And then, at 10:15 we stop class for the weekly chapel that takes place every Thursday. They actually stop classes so that the M.Div. students can go. It is a small chapel since there are not many of us at school everyday. We sing a few songs and then the Dean comes to give a little talk since it's her turn this week. She says that she is going to be speaking on Moses and his responses to God's calling. His responses were laid out in 4 or 5 clear points (obviously not CRC or there would only be 3) and God's responses were also laid out. I don't remember exactly what they were but it basically came down to Moses saying "me? I'm not qualified" and God saying "I am who I am. That's what matters. I know you aren't qualified in all the areas but I will provide. You have my authority and you have my words."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to read your blog twice and I'll probably have to read it again. So many ideals to grapple with. My first thought was of Sarah's trip to the doctor in Kenya. She was so blown away that after dealing with the physical he would be interested, let alone be concerned about her spiritual health. Maybe that is a first step in all our fields.
Just a first thought. hmmm

7:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole your blog was confusing but great and in the end of your blog i think you answeared your own question! I like it, you say but i am not qualified and then going to chaple and hearing the God is calling you to somthing (which i thing he is and has) and hearing that he will give the tools when you need them. That must be an overwhelming sense of reilf and confedence and support!! Good luck with all your reading and loving you lots
Cass

10:11 a.m.  
Blogger I'm back...... said...

I agree with the 2 previous posts regarding the degree of confusion and yet interst in your blog. I think I may need to enroll at Tyndale to truly understand your latest posting.

Karyn (Frank's sister)

12:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's awesome, Nicole! I can"t wait to hear more about this. Also, if you find the book helpful, I would like to hear more about it.

5:44 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

You sound so intellectual! Haa.. I feel your struggle. You know the beautiful thing is theology is in everything. We can not seperate it from anything. Blame the idea of seperating things on Dualism. Ahh. We have to work against this dualistic force that is ever so present in our institutions and even in our own thought processes. Be encouraged! I think what you are doing is great. I can see it opening deeper channels of thought. Keep on bloggin'.

5:21 a.m.  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. You know how it is when something makes sense in your head but when you put it down it doesn't really to other people... well that was my moment. I think I'll end up writing lots of those after classes.

9:23 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You keep writing kid. I'm so very glad to know my girls are thinking like this. It's something Mom and I have spent our entire lives trying to understand let alone comunicate as parents. Hurray for Christian thinkers

3:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home