Sunday, September 24, 2006

Winnipeg - Part 2

Sunday afternoon blues seems worse when you are returning after a week of vacationing. I still have tomorrow though, so it's not too bad. At first I was disappointed when I heard that Alisha was having her wedding out here but now I'm so glad that we were forced to come here. I love the people. I love the opportunity to come see more of Canada. We've gotten a lot closer to our family out here and I'm already looking forward to the next time when we're all together.
Friday night we had a pig roast at Yvonne and George's. It was sooo good. These women are known around Winnipeg as the sisters who know how to cook. They even have a bit of a catering business. Well we had brown beans, coleslaw, the pig, and some great desserts. Oh, I was sooo full. And of course we had endless supplies of wine that Opa made. He made piles of wine for the wedding and it turned out that they weren't allowed to use it there. Well, we couldn't let it go to waste right? oops. No, I was actually really good. Saturday was such a crazy shuffle. You know how bad things happen in 3's. Well, I think there was more than 3 bad things that happened for Alisha's wedding. What a crazy day. She was really good with it all though. First of all, the family all returned on Sat. night after the pig roast and found out that their sewers had backed up. oh nooo. The plumber actually came that night and at midnight was roto routing the pipes. bleaaccchh. I'm glad we weren't staying here. Oh, but before all of this, the cap of Alisha's root canal came off on Thurs. night so she had an emergency dentist appointment for 4:00 on Friday afternoon... just before the rehersal. The next morning, back to the day of the wedding, everyone woke up early for the makeup appointment. The girl that was coming insisted that the appointment be at 7:00 so they were all up and waiting and SHE DIDN'T SHOW!!! Alisha tried calling her but for some reason the phones wouldn't work. She ended up calling on a cell phone and the girl said that she had a headache so she wasn't going to come. What an excuse. I think that's pathetic. That could really mess things up for a bride. So someone called the phone company, someone else called A. Michelle to come and do the makeup and the girls were all carted off to their hair appointments. Dan and I came to the house here after all of this. The house was empty, but a mess. The phone guy was out on the ladder repairing the wires that SQUIRRELS had eaten through!! I cleaned up the house and started organizing when I realized that no one had had anything to eat that morning yet and a hungry bunch of girls were going to come home in a minute with no food at all in the house. Dan was gone back to Wes and Lindas for a sec. and I would have called him to ask if he could bring back some food but the phones weren't working, right. So Dad and I went out quickly to buy some bread and fruit. While we were gone, the bride came back all done up and wanted Dad to bring her to get her pictures done with the groom but alas... we missed it all. Dan and Britt had to bring her away... and still with nothing to eat!! The rest of us all had a relatively normal day after that. We all got ready, did the family pictures and all that and enjoyed the wedding. Oh, except for the someone forgetting to bring the wedding register so they didn't technically get married at the church. The reception really was the most memorable part of the day. The dance floor was constantly full and of just Dan's family. It was a blast!! We all danced the night away while Opa and Oma sat there watching and enjoying seeing all their kids having fun. I didn't have any wine. I enjoyed being bloated with beer instead (never as good a wine). Dan was the entertainment. Lets just say it was his turn to have a few too many.
Today is the day to say good-byes since we leave first thing in the morning. Dan and I are going to see "Little Miss Sunshine" in the theatres with some cousins and aunts and uncles and then back to Alishas to hang out with our family here for the night .
I'm looking forward to seeing how our animals made it. I want to see if Chloe ever calmed down at Mike and Arlenes (their dog didn't like her). I wonder if the chickens stopped laying because of the new place. And the goat!! We'll see if Mozz ate all of Arlenes gardens.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Nicole!
What a blog!!! :) I loved the detail!!! It sounded hectic but fun! So now it's Dan's other sister to get married. When is that wedding? So much fun! Cheers!

2:19 a.m.  
Blogger yours truly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounded as though you had alot of fun!! I with sarah on the detail!! Anyways hope you are all having fun lovin you lots Cass

2:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole!

This is Frank's sister Karen. It was SO awesome meeting you and the rest of the family. I was telling my co-workers today how much fun my sister-in-law's family is. You guys should all move out here!! You won't have as many bus transfers to get to school, car insurance is cheaper, and I know a couple of places that sell reasonably priced jeans for "tall and lean" people!

Karen

6:00 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

This past week was more fun than I could have ever expected! It was so great having you and Dan here and getting to know you better. I will post something about it later for you to read too.

11:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the blog. I've been wondering how it went. Talk about stress!!! I can't imagine 3 worse emergencies. I loved your pictures! They are beautiful. What gorgeous flowers. You guys sure whooped it up. It is easy to see that you had a great time- even on the plane. It is going to take you guys weeks to get your feet back on the ground. Have a great last day!
Mom

9:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home