Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's my blog and I can whine if I want to

I got a cold. boo hoo you say? Well, it sucks. If any of you know Dan or any other male Wikk (wait, is it a Wikk thing? I can't remember anymore), you will know that when he is sick, oh boy, he is the sickest person in the world! or so he thinks. Well, last weekend he had one coming on. It turns out that it's a quick cold and he had his worst day on Sunday (he deserved it going out all night Sat.). Today is my worst day. The thing with this cold is that I can breath (most of the time). It's not the snot that's bothering me it's the aches. My head hurts at the back, behind my ears, in my temples and I can barely hear. I think it's a sinus headache. So I put up with Dan's whining last week and this week that's all I want to do. I don't see it getting much better any time soon either because tonight Dan and I are going to a Christmas party with his aux. shift. Those parties are always soooo much fun though so I can't really back out. Besides Dan said he wouldn't go if I don't go (aww how sweet). The good thing about Dan being such a suck when he's sick is that he feels REALLY bad for you when you get sick. I'm glad that he got it first though because now he can't blame it on me for giving it to him. Last time I got a cold (on my birthday!) he didn't even sleep with me for fear of it. Instead he slept with my sister. How nice, eh? Oh the memories....
Well, enough of the whining (cuz it really isn't that bad). My house is still messy (I ran out of dishwasher soap) but I bought a poinsetta. Cass gave me a bag full of white Christmas light strings where a bunch of bulbs were missing. Dan and I spent a couple of hours replacing all the bulbs while listening to Christmas music and ended up with 5 free strings. Cool, eh? We're really getting in the festive mood. This weekend we might even get our Christmas tree (if there's snow). I remember as kids every December we would all pile into the back of Dad's big work truck to get our Christmas tree. We would all wear lots of warm winter gear so that while we were out tree hunting we could take off our mittens one by one to mark the trees that were good ones. Eventually we would all check out the marked trees and finally pick the best one (or two). We had sooo much fun doing that. We would finish with hot apple cider and candy canes. It was so much fun that other people wanted to join our tradition and come along. Another family that we were friends with came with every year but some years we would take a spare friend here and there who would remember it the next year and ask to come again the next year. The first year that Dan and I started dating Sarah said that she was starting a new tradition where any new boy would have to drag the tree out of the woods to the van so Dan ended up dragging the tree by himself back to the truck. I think that tradition only lasted one year. I made Dan go with me for our first Christmas. At first he fought a bit (soo much work) but now he loves it. It's become our tradition and, like when we were kids, the fun is infections. Friends want to come with us. We took a couple with us last year who want only fake trees. They are still getting a fake tree this year but they asked us at least a month ago if the could come again. Another couple asked if they could come too. So, if there's snow this weekend, we're going out for our tree. Maybe we'll go anyways but it's much better with a few snowballs.
I'm off... gotta go pick up party supplies.... I hope none of you catch this cold. Merry Christmas!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have very fond memories of those years still Nicole. Do you remeber how when we finaly had the tree picked out, I always started up the chainsaw and buzzed it down instead of cutting it with a handsaw like everyone else? We were so in your face. We always made such a big deal out it. I think it's great that you have started your own fun tradition like that. We all need those kind of memories. I miss them now. Now that all you girls are gone, we don't even cut one any more. No more memories like that. Seems a shame. Hmmmm

3:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you mark the trees? I'm glad you are still getting a real tree.
I feel sorry for you with your cold. I had one last weekend...not fun! But if it's like mine it didn't last long.
Curl up in front of the fireplace with a glass of wine.

3:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great blog Nicole! It made me laugh! Especially the part with Dan not sleeping with you on your birthday.
I too have such fond memories of cutting down our Christmas tree. And Dad I loved the chainsaw. Especially the smell of it. Weird I know. Peter's mom said she would wait till Peter and I got home to go get their tree! They get real trees too!! Yeah! And Nicole I hope I don't get you're cold. The mumps have been going around on Alberta campuses so we are getting a vaccine clinic i think next week. Maybe I should get a shot. hmm.. Talk to you later!

6:48 p.m.  
Blogger Larissa said...

Make sure that the kitten doesn't eat your poinsetta...it can kill her or make her very very sick. It probably goes for your dog too. I won't get one because I know my cat wouldn't leave it alone. We're going to get our tree this weekend too!! I'm SO excited :)

11:08 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! As for Christmas trees, we do it the easy way and just buy one somewhere around here. We've been back to real trees for the last few years and I definitely prefer them to artificial.

7:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh nicole the memmories!! I loved christmas tree shopping, it was soo fun!! (Mom W. - we would mark them with our scarves, hats or mittens)
Sarah i am with you on the smell of the chain saw, the right mixture of gas, fumes, and trees oh the memmories!! I also agree with you on the great blog, i loved it!! Sarah i laughed at the same spots you did!!!
Ahh the memories... yup i think mike and i are going out to chop one down soon too!!!

8:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blogs makes me really happy. I love hearing your memories, as many of them are mine as well!
I loved how we managed to squeeze 20 kids and 2 dads in your dad's green van. And some how we would come home with every one and 2 trees!!! SOOOO illegal now!!
The candy canes at the end always made me forget about how cold I was!!
Ohh the memories!

7:37 p.m.  
Blogger Bert said...

Hey, what's this about the male Wikk's whining ?. Not I. I'm as tough as they come.

4:40 p.m.  
Blogger Bert said...

So Larissa, who cares if a poinsetta is bad for a cat ?. One less wouldn't make a difference.

4:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home