Saturday, January 14, 2006

World Religions class

One of my two class that I have is a World Religions class. I'm really glad I'm taking it because I didn't take it in highschool and have really missed out because of that. When I go to the jail and work with the Chaplaincy I often see religios leaders there and talk with inmates of other religions and I feel so dumb because I really don't know anything about their religions let alone how to talk to them. The class has so far been really boring and really interesting. The first class or two was boring but now we are getting into discussions and it is getting more interesting. Last class we talked about how to approach other religions. How do we dialogue with them? What is dialogue? Here is a quote from my notes: "Dialogue is not debate, proselytism, persuasion, or negotiation but to secure understanding. To go away thinking "Now I begin to see a little better what it is like to hold those views, pray those prayers and to live those live". I really liked that. Maybe this class will be more interesting than i think.

Here is a link to a great little clip that the professor showed in this class. This is how we've been told, by the media, to think of Arabs. View the 10 min. "Planet of the Arabs" video.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home