Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!!!!

Today is Mom Wikkerinks birthday. And what a day. Thanks to Larissa or we would have accidentally forgetten (sorry mom!!, it was a crazy weekend). It was good that she reminded us because here we are (using their internet... oh for wireless internet access... again). There's lots of us here enjoying mom's cake and goodies. mmm.
I had such an adventure yesterday and today. You know, one of those experiences that I can't wait to tell the future children about. My Oma and Opa slept over last night. They haven't even slept over at their own children's place before. It started on Monday night. Oom Andy and Tante Anneke (my Oma's sister and brother-in-law) went on a road trip with my grand-parents. I have so many relatives and friends of my grandparents out this way. I had no idea. So they used the long weekend to go visiting. At around 5:00 their van broke down about a 5 min. walk from our new house. For some reason they didn't think of calling us first. They called Tante Anneke's son who lived 45 min. away to come and pick them up but... oops, they forgot to mention that Oma and Opa were with them. So their son came with a tiny car with room for 2 extras. Tante Anneke had to go home (2 hours away) to get some her meds. but Oma, for some reason, had an extra days supply of Opa's meds. Oma called mom, and in the end got my phone number... and ta-da.... we got an out-of-the blue sleep over with my grandparents. I was super relieved to know that I actually have a spare bedroom with a really great mattress and even a bathroom in the bedroom on the main floor. I didn't have to make them sleep on the pull-out bed that is embarrassing to even sit on. I had just gotten a (free and great) couch that week so at least I had good furniture to sleep on. Isn't that so neat? I had my grand-parents crash at my place. I was a little embarrassed though. Dan said I was over reacting but I just felt that we weren't hospitable enough. My Opa has pretty advanced Parkinson's disease and had a hard time getting through the house here and there. We have a few steps and I've never actually noticed how low my couch is. There was a big kershmozel with the van actually getting fixed and to make a long story short, I saved the day, got the van to the right garage where it got fixed nice and quickly and ended up driving the 1.5 hours to drop Oma and Opa off at home (and then the same trip back home). What a day. But also what an experience. I'm glad I got time with them. They were able to see our new place, my gigantic garden (with a few suggestions to try weeding the garden more often... oops) and they got to have eggs for breakfast the next day!!
So, happy birthday mom!! We love you. Thanks for all the support and prayers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all blessed by such a great relationship we have with Opa and Oma Nuck. Would that everyone had such a great family. Thanks for you and Dan being so positive about that.

10:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home