Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wednesday afternoon

I have been demoted at the Beer Store. What does that mean? it means that while I applied for a better position (Permanant Part Time, what kind of crap is that?) instead of giving me the job, they moved someone else who is a PPT to our store. That means that everyone, get's fewer hours. We hardly had any hours to begin with!! It doesn't really affect most of the people working there because they are going to school but I was getting less than 30 hours a week already. This week I'm down to 21 and have to work Sunday to even get that many. The reason for the new person is because Ontario has this new program that is starting next week where everyone will be paying a deposit on all LCBO containers now and they can then bring them back to the beer store and get their deposit back. Well you can imagine the loads of hoarded liquor bottles that are going to just create havoc at work. At work it is this big thing that everyone is getting so worked up about. I try not to get involved except that I have now been demoted. They say that once the program starts I will be back up to 40 hours a week. I'm sure I will get more hours then but probably just for the first month and those hours will probably be mostly evenings with no supervisor pay. I was really ticked off about it. I called my boss, had a big long conversation (I think I got too emotionally involved in that one) and then left it. Some of you are going to wonder why I didn't mention it in previous conversations (on the phone, and such). The reason is that I really don't want any pity. I'm not really angry or upset about it anymore. I had Mon, Tues, and now Wed. off! It was great. We do need the pay check but those two days at home, reading my book (the one by Mark Haddon, intersting...) were really great. I cleaned, bummed around, slept in and read. It was nuturing. I also thought about this work thing and figure that I should take it as a great but push out the door. The beer store really isn't where I should be biding my time. It's a great place of employment and one that I will keep my foot in the door at but I shouldn't get complacent there. I need to keep looking at what is next. I was told I need to face the future full of expectancy and hope. Because its all coming my way. It's a complicated issue in my head but one that I'm not going to make much of a fuss over. I'm sure it really won't make much of a difference. I will be busy again soon enough, I'm sure.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear sister.
You are a smart, wise woman. I think sometimes it is hard to find our way in this world but i know by the grace of God you will. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

11:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with sarah on that one!! You are a smart and wise women! You are able to take a situation that isn't all that nice for you, think it through in your head and be ables to see the bright side and make it good! I am really proud of you! Wishing you all the best
Cass

8:37 a.m.  
Blogger beerseller said...

Nicole - You should probably be talking to your union steward because I don't believe the company can just parachute a PPT in from another store. The contract I think addresses this very issue. Good luck! By the way I am a TBS manager.

6:37 p.m.  
Blogger mmichele said...

honey i just have to say every time i look for an update on this post i think
THAT GIRL IS BETTER THAN THE BEER STORE!!!

11:22 p.m.  
Blogger mmichele said...

like there is nothing wrong with it, but you have gifts and abilities that are not being utilized there.... that's for sure. go with your passion.

end of sermon.

i promise.

11:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beerseller is probably right and michele is probably even more right. Whatever you do I have faith in you! Go girl go! It's all for the learning.

3:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Ontario finally took this step to help reduce garbage and encourage recycling. When I moved to Ontario, I was horrified that they didn't already do that (at home, we do it even for pop bottles/cans/etc).

That's not to say I don't sympathize with you about the demotion though. That's crap!

5:15 p.m.  
Blogger Nicole said...

sarah, thanks you're a dear. cass too. I'm a little torn about the recycling program. I love the incentive given to make people recycle their glass etc. but at the same time, all of these products are recylable via blue box. Now they are charinging people the deposit and making them drive to a store to get their deposit back. For the people that clean up litter, it's great, but for those who always recycled anyways, it's a pain. Besides, who do you think is paying for this really expensive recyling program. And who keeps the deposits that people pay but don't collect. hmmm

beerseller - thanks for reading! yikes. It's a good reminder that I should watch out what I write about. :) I will look into it but at the same time, I don't know how emotionally involved I want to get.

michelle - i liked the sermon. I know that this isn't the place for me. It's hard to jump right into what you are meant for let alone know what you are meant for. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

thanks dad!!

8:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home