Thursday, January 24, 2008

January 24 - Independence Day

January 24, 2000, I moved to Honduras for 7 months. Really, 7 months doesn't really sound that long from my perspective right now and going into it didn't sound very long either but by the end of the 7 months I felt like it was a long time. I came home in time to start the new year in September (grade 12 for me) and then when the year was over I went to university for the following September. Even though that means that I spent a whole year home after coming back from Honduras I still look back on that date and say that is the date that I stepped out of my parents home independent. At least a little bit more independent because I really don't think that I'll ever be independent from my family and friends. Spending the week here at Opa's I've really come to see how much I rely on my family. Opa laughs every time the phone rings because of how often I talk with my sisters. My mom and dad came over for supper last night and I had such a good evening of visiting with them that I realize how much I depend on my family as a social group. My family really is my favorite group of people to hang out with. And even though Dan doesn't really act like it, family and friends mean a lot to him too. In fact, he would have a hard time moving to a practical good location if it means moving away from family and friends. We'll see how much I can change that.
Back to Jan. 24, 2000. I moved away from my family for 7 months at the age of 16 and learned sooo much about myself and life and other people. It really was an eye opening experience and has shaped a lot in my life. I don't keep in contact with the family that I lived with anymore. It's really hard. They only speak Spanish and if they have the Internet it isn't very regular. I really love that family and think of them often. I still have the key to their house (oops). I hope that I can go back someday soon. Happy Independence day, Me!

9 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I'd love to hear some of the stories from your time in Honduras.

12:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those days Nicole. I remember that I didn't particulary enjoy you being gone. It was sorta the begining of my life as an only child.

9:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*happy independence day* i was thinking of you a lot yesterday... call me when you get back, k? we need to celebrate about i-day and babies!!!

love!
hannelle

8:26 a.m.  
Blogger Nicole said...

Linda - I would love to hear some stories too. I shouldn't be forgetting so much already. I knew I would want to remember so I tried to journal while I was there. The problem is, a week before I left I lost my journal while I was souvenir shopping. Isn't that tragic? It was so sad. I'm still hoping to get it someday.
Hannelle - I was going to call you all day yesterday (obviously thinking of you lots) but I wasn't sure what time you were working. Bad excuse, I know. We'll definately hook up next week.
Sarah - I'm sure you loved being an only child. Did we even talk at all the whole time? Maybe online. I don't remember much contact with my sisters. Remember mom would call once every two weeks and that was it? It was sink or swim... sad but it probably was a good thing. Otherwise I would be pining too much. I wish I had that journal.

10:31 a.m.  
Blogger Larissa said...

Is Hannelle pregnant???!!

11:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You opened a lot of doors for us through your trip. The visits we made, the friends we made through you. ICQ was the big thing and we'd chat for ages until it cut out. I don't think I really realized how lonely you were. I probably wouldn't have let you go. But then, I probably didn't have a choice. We still have the VCR tape from then. I'll dig it out when you come.

12:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah nicole the memmories!! Here to your independence day!!!

2:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh larissa! i meant everyone else's babies! yours, alicia's, amy's... besides, i can't have a baby without nicole -- she has to go first :)

hannelle

3:26 p.m.  
Blogger Larissa said...

Next week is looking pretty good...you guys should get on that! lol Thanks for the clarification though :)

1:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home