Monday, March 31, 2008

News

So there have been a few small changes since the last time I posted. First, there is now only 1 month left before it's time to move... and we still don't have a place to go. We are looking but with limited internet access it seems that most places are already rented out before we check our emails the 2nd time. I'm having a debate in my head right now between 2 different houses. Both are farther from work than I would have liked but a good 25 min. closer than we are now. The first house is a really small (no problem really) house in the country. It's right next door to the landlord who seemed to like the idea of both a dog and a garden. If he's open to those ideas then he shouldn't be too much to worry about but you still never know. It's an old house that (I think) was moved to this location. I asked how the utilities were but the landlord didn't know since he's only had to pay the bills of an empty house. Still, just heating the house minimally the gas bill was about the same as our gas bill is with heat, stove/oven, dryer and fireplace. yikes. The second house is the same amount for rent but it is still being built. I'm guessing there is a subdivision going up and the landlords are building this place for a second income. We get to choose the colours and all the appliances are brand new. If we want the basement finished it's an extra $100 a month (which puts it up to our expected budget rent costs). I'm guessing with a new house the utilities are going to be cheaper. What I don't like is that.... it's in a subdivision. I want country. I want a garden. I don't want my dog to run around outside. I don't want to live in a lego world where all the houses around me look the same. Another problem is that this house isn't ready until September. That means we would be homeless for the summer. We are thinking of options and places to go but there are so many complications involved with bunking with family/friends. On the other hand, it could be an interesting and fun summer. We might even be able to save some money. I've also never lived in a brand new house. I feel so consumeristic just thinking about it though... I don't know why. Comments? Suggestions?
The second news in my life is.... I got hired at a new job. That's right! I finally got out of my rut and put out some resumes. I went to my first professional job interview and got in. The job is for a non-profit organization with a division in mental health. I'm not taking leaps and bounds here though. I've still got my plain old job as my main job and this one is very very part time. The hope is that once I'm trained in this organization I can start to pick up other hours in different programs than the one I was hired for (since my program only runs once a month). This job will get me more training in my field and good experience on my resume (which is lacking!). And maybe I can start to do more of my own personal training in what I love (horticultural therapy) and develop my own programs within this organization, or at least put it to use. This weekend is my first weekend to work at this job and I really don't know what to expect. I have a new job but since I haven't even worked there yet it doesn't really feel like much. I guess I'll have more to say about it later.
I'm looking forward to hearing some comments on this post. Dan and I seem to always want opposite things and sometimes it's hard to know when I'm being stubborn about an issue (because I know Dan wants the other) and when I actually have a legitimate arguement. Help.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new post. You want us to help and of course we can't take sides (well you really didn't say what Daniel wants)...the best advice I can give you is to find some common ground and make your home a haven of rest. Home is where each lives for the other and all live for God.
Love Mom W

10:51 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

I'd say, go with your heart. Where do you envision you and Dan this summer? Which place feeds your spirit?

Tough decisions.

9:14 a.m.  
Blogger yours truly said...

Hey nicole - my only advice is.. rent a small house in the country for the summer till the new subdivion one is done, cause then you still get to grow a garden for this year and have the fun of a country house for the summer and that is when it is really the most fun. (If you want i can inquire to see if the house in the country we talked about is available for the summer?) You don't have to worry about heating bills then or other such worries you have in the winter. Than in the end off summer move into the new house in town. Then you have a whole other year to see if you like it, to find a other place if you don't. Kind of look at it as a test trial!
Anyways good luck and all the best
Cassandra

10:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nicloe, Congratulations on the new job.That organization just became a better place because they hired you.
About the living accomodations, just remember that everything is temporary, nothing on earth stays the same forever. Make a decision now that works for the both of you, but make plans for the future too. Even the plans that you make for the future will probably change. So long as you do it together with Daniel and ask God for guidance all will be ok.
Love, Dad Wikk.

12:50 p.m.  
Blogger Larissa said...

Nicole I know exactly how you feel. We didn't want to buy a house in town either, but it worked for the time being. We make things work here with our animals and eventually (2 more years) we'll be buying another house in the country. My advice all summed up is...You may not like what "works" for you now, but you never know what the (near) future will unveil. I know it's hard to not follow your heart, but I think it will pay off with being smart :) Ps. We will support whatever you guys decide!

1:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As nicole sister i just want all you wikk's out there to know how happy i am for her that she as become apart of such a wonderful, support of family who base there faith in the Lord! Who truly loves and acepts her! It is always so wonderful to read your comments to her
Lot love Cassandra

9:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asking for advice is often risky and giving it is often worse, but you asked so here it is. A small apartment in town, with all utilities included is the best way to save some money and get a start in life. All along the way you can get new jobs based on work experience, and eventually probably continue your education as well. The house in the country thing isn't very practical. Lot's of good gardens are planted in town, and even in industrial areas by urban warriors so that shouldn't hold you back.

2:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I have amazing family and friends. I love these comments of support. And some of them do surprise me a bit. Thank you so much.
Just so you all know... we won't be homeless for the summer. Dan and I both know that we would never be homeless. We are surrounded by so many options and support... what I just meant was that we wouldn't have our own home. Even though these questions and plans could be stressfull I am finding myself more excited than anything. Maybe it's just the change of scene or maybe it's the options that are presenting themselves. You know, this could be the summer that we will look back on and say "hey, remember that summer when we lived ..." We are relatively free to do almost anything right now. How exciting.
Once again, thanks for the support and faith.

9:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home