Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I'm really enjoying the weather out here. I know it won't last but I'm going to suck up as much as I can. I've been cleaing up a few flower beds and trying to clean the yard (it's still strewn with sticks and branches). Sadly all our fish in the fish pond died. It was either too cold or we were supposed to plug in an aerater or something. There was a ton of fish in there. I pulled out about 30 fish and 4 frogs (really nice looking ones too). The fish were huge! Some were even bigger than my hand. I put them all in a pail and left it till the next day to chuck out. eewaauahhah what a smell!! The goat and chickens are LOVING this weather. I can hardly get the chickens to come in at night. They usually follow me back to the coop but there are so many yummy bugs on the ground that they keep getting distracted and ducking to peck at something. Mozzerella is getting used to being tethered up outside. She bawls for a bit at first but doesn't get tangle up or anything. I was hoping she would get rid of all the brambles and growth along the barn where she's tied up but so far she's just been going back inside. Spoiled little goat. It turns out that our goat isn't as fat as we all thought. Here's a quote from one of my favorite websites(http://www.fiascofarm.com):



"If you look at their belly, or width side to side, and this is really big or wide, that is not fat. That is good rumen development and a sign of a healthy goat. A goat's rumen is a big fermentation vat, and the bigger it is the better they process their food. A big rumen is a good thing.
Pygmies goats very often look "fat" when they are not because of their short and stout body structure."



See? So Mozz is just fine. Here. Let me see if I can find a pic.
It's an older picture and not a good shot of her rumen but here she is anyways. Ha ha ha... what a goat. She's supposed to be my teaching goat so that one day I can get other dairy goats. Hopefully by then I'll know about goat husbandry and temperments.

Dan has been playing fetch with Chloe a lot. He thinks that she's doing really badly at it and we need to do more training with her if she's going to be a hunting dog. I think we're getting a little late for that. She LOVES retrieving and will start running before we even throw the ball but the problem is, she doesn't see where it goes and then can't find it. She's got great stamina and will look for days (seriously, she's done it before) but if she would just stop and look where it goes she would find the ball a lot faster. It would also be helpful if she could follow our pointing. We tried this new game where we make the dog stay and then we roll the ball along the ground and hide it from her. Then we try to make her smell it out. She doesn't do too badly at that. We should find some good training books, websites or even a place that will show us what to do. Maybe it's too much fuss and work but I like my animals to be useful. Speaking of useful, the chickens are laying again. Not a lot but more than they were. mmm. It's good to have fresh eggs again. I already have a dozen to give away.
There's some girls at work who found out that I have a blog. I guess my lifestyle is really backwards to them (having animals etc.) and they just thought it was hilarious that I write posts about animals. I guess it is pretty cheesy but it's my hobby; the only sport I'm interested in. Besides, I think they are secretly interested. I think most people are secretly interested. We're all closet agrarians.
The latest music that I've really started to like is by Serena Ryder. She's a local girl with an awesome voice. The two songs that I like the best aren't on her website to listen to but if you can find them, listen to them. "Boo hoo" and "I'm on my knees for you".
Here's one last quote from Wendell Berry (I found him through "agrarianism"): "Every day do something that won't compute. Love the Lord. Love the world. Work for nothing...Love someone who doesn't deserve it...Plant sequoias...Practice resurrection."
That's all for now!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some snipits of conversations that your blog brings to mind.
While talking to our JK teacher we wondered why so many of her kids didn't know what a mud pie was or how to make mud. Later she had them all playing in a mud puddle (yes, part of the curriculum!) and some wouldn't get dirty for anything.??? Do kids not want to play in the puddles anymore???
My own Grade One kids couldn't think of a singe root that we eat. (I had a carrot as an example so they couldn't use that.) They thought of 'tomatoe' 3X. Yikes! After showing them a picture of a radish no one knew what it was! When I said that we would be eating stems tomorrow they said YUCK! Maybe we need a school garden. What on earth is going to happen when I start the unit on birds and eggs?
Anyway this agrarian thing is something I definately should read up on.

5:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole i love your end quote!! ( i espically like it when you end with a quote i can understand!) Thanx to you i now have a new word and i am going to call mike an agrarian and see if mr. smarty pants knows what it means (i like to try to sound smarter them mike, it so rarely happens)
Mom - as to getting dirty and playing in mud my kids love it! I wish i had a pic. for you! Mon. lexi had on pick striped pants, yellow shirt, a bright pink ballarina gauze skirt (dress up) and yellow rain boots! Then she went from puddle to puddle stomping through them and then when morgan got of the bus the went to the backyard were they found a huge muddle puddle and splashed through that too. And when morgan decided to do a cart wheel lexi had to try to and promtly fell flat on her pink gauze butt in the middle of a mud puddle, apond which she laughed and then came inside to change! (There was no punishment or reporcutions as i laughed as well and changed her) How is that for playing in mud! As far a garden and roots they don't know a darn thing! Sorry will work on that!!
With love

2:44 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

I wondered if Mozz was a little chubby when I saw him on Sunday but I didn't want to offend him by asking. Thanks for setting things straight. But the way, I had a lovely time at your place. Would have loved to stay longer.

Love you both.

12:54 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

"Maybe it's too much fuss and work but I like my animals to be useful."

In my research on dog training, all the books say that dogs will be happiest if they have a job to do. I think that's probably true for a lot of animals.

Today, it's Dixie's job to poop and pee outside. Tough life eh?

12:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home